Friday, September 27, 2013

Quote-Progress-Unquote

Just a few updates today!

I've been working pretty consistently on the sequel to The Outcasts of Vampire Flats. I have an outline going, a synopsis, and I even have the first couple of chapters written. They're very rough, but I think they're a great opening for the next book.

As far as what I want to accomplish for the next book, there are a few things:

Keep it Brief!

I'm not writing epic, Jordan-esque fantasy. My goal going into these stories was to take a minimalist approach to the genre. Focus on dialogue, character, and how the story is affecting those characters. And because I'm also (trying) to incorporate some humor, I don't want to overstay my welcome. I really believe that when you're dealing with a humorous story, the best course of action is to get in, get out. Don't linger or draw things out for too long.

I want to keep that "philosophy," if I can call it that, intact as much as I possibly can. I do want to explore the Realm of Shiloft a bit more than last time, and I do want to shake things up a bit. But my goal going forward is to continue keeping things simple.

Acys, Jasper, and Kalen are always going to be the focus, and how this world constantly seems to go out of its way to mess with them has to be the running gag.

Spotlight on Shiloft

To expound upon one of the last points, I want the second book to explore the Realm of Shiloft a bit more than last time. Because of the nature and length of Outcasts, I really didn't have too many opportunities to really reel in the lore very much. Rest assured, there is a big world outside the Mythrin Forest. It has a long history, varied locations, and many persons of interest.

I'd show you the map, but it is poorly drawn... like... poorly drawn - and might have some anthropology notes scribbled in where the Lightwater Strait should be.

But the sequel will draw much more of this into the open, and I'm pushing the story in a direction that will allow some more of it to stand out. I very rarely start a project like this and start making things up on the fly, and Outcasts was not one of them. I'm really into worldbuilding (former DM checking in), so Shiloft is out there - I promise!

Maps!

Like I said, I have maps all drawn up for parts of Shiloft, and my sister was completely willing to draw up a legitimate map for the release of Outcasts, but I declined. There was some question on how to actually implement it into the ebook, and I wasn't all that sure it was necessary for that particular story since the adventurers really only visited three-ish locations.

Going forward, I want to make sure a map (or maps) get made to be in line with my goal to really flesh out Shiloft for the potential reader.

--

These are a few things I'd like to accomplish, though I'm sure there will be more. There's even the possibility that I have a final title in place for the sequel, but I want to save that for when the story really gets going!

Also - and this blog may be hit with a few posts like this - I've been playing a lot of Lord of the Rings Online lately. It's not perfect, but it really scratched that MMO itch that I get every now and then. I've had a lot of fun so far. Here's a picture of the server celebrating Frodo and Bilbo's birthday on September 22nd.

That is all. xD