Tuesday, October 22, 2013

CreateSpace! (And "Book 2" Update!)

Within the next few weeks, I'm going to be trying to get a version of The Outcasts of Vampire Flats up and running through Amazon's physical self-publishing imprint, CreateSpace. I have even less experience with this site than I do with KDP, but the process hasn't been all that bad so far.

Thankfully, a lot of this stuff is automated. The only real modification I had to make on my end was the table of contents I had set up for the ebook. Obviously, the hyperlinks won't work on a physical copy, so it was just a matter of making sure the pages synced up. No biggie!

CreateSpace has a lot of different options for authors who really want to make some creative flourishes with their novels, and a lot of those options are pretty expensive. Like... damn expensive. Luckily, for my purposes, I won't need to make use of any of those options. The site allows for a nice novel format without having to spend a dime.

The only real roadblock right now is that my sister's cover won't be enough. You need a PDF that includes a cover, space for a labelled spine, and the back of the book. Which means I'm going to have to call upon my sister once more when things aren't so busy. We both have midterms on lately, so that might not be such an easy thing to do right now. This'll actually give me more time to do some more research on the site.

I'll keep this blog up to date as I make my way through that.

--

Progress on the sequel to Outcasts has been pretty steady lately. I have some rough maps drawn of the city (yay, civilization!) and the general region, which I'll hand off to my sister later on after we get some idea of how to properly implement them into the document.

The outline is also much more concrete these days, and I have another chapter or so knocked out in the actual document. I'm spending a little more time with the characters here, letting them ramble on and discuss the current events a bit. I'm having a lot of fun with this so far, to the point that it might be safe to say this story will be a bit longer than the last outing - but we'll see!